Tunes Hotel - Small room for big price

Friday, April 06, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-

I travel around quite a bit and stay at lots of different hotels. And at most hotels, I don't really have much complaints. Usually really nice hotels with good amenities are pricey and hotels that have less amenities and look a little crappy are correspondingly cheaper, so for the most part, you get what you pay for (most of the time it's my company that pays for it, so I don't always know the price of the room, but I try to find out just for the fun of it). I've been wanting to do more posts about hotels coz I stay at so many nice ones, but since I got the 'honour' at staying at Tunes hotel recently and I have plenty to say about it, this definitely requires a blog post coz' when something is in dire need of improvement, ranting on a public arena is one of the best ways to do it (although this isn't a particularly famous blog to make a big difference, but better than nothing).
So I've never stayed at Tunes hotel before, since it's in KL and I wouldn't have a reason to stay there since I can go home. But last weekend I got a chance to try this place near LCCT airport. I was returning from Indonesia on Sunday night and had an early flight to Vietnam the next morning, so my manager said I might as well stay at Tunes for the night instead of heading back to my home, which sounded like a good plan to me.
Now Tunes hotel markets itself as convenient with affordable prices. Well, no one can argue with the convenient part, considering it's located 3 minutes drive away from the airport, and it's primary function is to be a stopover for travellers who don't want to pay for amenities they will not be using. So they do away with posh extras like swimming pool, gym, tv, etc. Fine, I can accept that concept, IF the price of the hotel actually was reasonable for a hotel WITHOUT all these extra amenities. But for the available amenities, the price of the room (which I'm glad I didn't have to pay for) was quite ridiculous.



Here's the good: As can be seen from my pic above, the room has a nice big comfy bed, is brightly lit, clean with a good hot water shower. The bed and bathroom are very nice overall. There is also a hairdryer, which I'm surprised doesn't cost extra. And from my pic below, I'm sure the room looks nice and inviting. Don't be fooled, it's only because I have a brilliant cameraphone that makes it look better than it is. :-P
Here's the bad: The room is not spacious. At all. Period. There's not even a metre of walking space between the bed and the walls. Which means if I put my luggage bag on the floor, I have to step over it to walk around the room. So I put the bag on my bed til I was ready to sleep. I can't imagine the insanity of trying to walk around if 2 people were staying in the room. And the lock did not look very secure as I could only lock the door handle but no additional latch for extra security, so if some perv was working at the hotel and had the master key, he could easily enter my room. So for my security as single lone female, I put my bag in between the door and the bed (it was just a nice fit, which says even more about how much space was in there) so anyone who tries to open my door would have been blocked by the bag.
The price of the room is RM189, which does not include toiletries or towel. So we get charged an additional RM 15 for a towel and basic toiletries which is just handsoap and small satchets of shower gel and shampoo which lasts one use (compare this to most hotels where even the small bottles can last at least 2 or 3 days use). And when I checked out I had to bring the towel back to the counter. I have NEVER been to any hotel which such a dumb requirement, not even an RM70 hotel.
The room also does not have most of the facilities of a normal room. No tv, no desk so can't work, no kettle or cups, no cupboard, only hangers. Apparently the airconditioning has a time limit of 12 hours, and I'm sure if you want to use it longer, you have to pay extra. Again, all this would be fine if the price was reasonable, and I've been to RM70-80 hotels with all these facilities. But the price of the room is RM189.00 PLUS 10% service charge PLUS RM15 for the toiletries. So room total price was RM222.90. That is the price of a 4 star hotel!!! But Tunes offers less than what a 1 star hotel offers. Lol.
As if that's not crap enough, there are also Shokubutsu and York ads in the room, which means the hotel makes money from room ads. And for the shuttle ride to the airport which is a stone's throw away, I have to pay RM1. Not a lot, but compared to most hotels which offer FREE shuttle services to airports located much further away, the ads and paying for the shuttle is just really sad.
Given that there are a lot of international travellers that stay at that hotel, only because it's the nearest and they wouldn't know any better on how truly sadly small and sadly unfurnished it is, I think it gives a negative image to travellers that such a place costs so much. No backpacker in their right mind would stay there. I'm sure there are hotels located slightly further away from the airport, around 15 minutes, which have much more amenities for the same price. So far as I'm concerned, Tony Fernandez is really trying to milk whatever he can with this hotel. And advertising it as affordable is ridiculous. The only thing I'm glad about is that they gave me a feedback form when I checked out, which I couldn't make much good use of as I was rushing for my flight. So I made up it with this post.
The only request I have to Mr. Fernandez is, you can market this hotel as convenient, but please, don't try to con people into thinking it's affordable, coz' the whole set up is pretty much daylight robbery. You should realize that if there was another hotel located next to Tunes which offers the normal facilities at reasonable price of most hotels, Tunes would close shop in all of 2 seconds.
Ok, next time I'll blog about nice hotels. Sorry for this rant, but when something is this bad, I just hope this will drive the people in charge to change it. Or at least this review can be a warning to potential travellers to KL. If you need a hotel near the airport, try to avoid this one!