The Hungry Hog, SS15, Subang Jaya - great place for pork lovers :D

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 0 Comments A+ a-

It's not often that I go to a new restaurant that really wows me, but I got the introduced by some church mates to this place called Hungry Hog which I never knew existed before although it's at SS15, which is like a stone's throw away from my place. And it turned out to be such a nice place to eat, I would wholeheartedly recommend it to people, and definitely earns a good post from me. 

As you might guess from the name, the place specializes in pork. And while I do feel a tad bit sorry for little porkers that get slaughtered to satisfy our palates, unfortunately I love pork too much to care that much. One of the cute things about this place is that they have interesting little porker themed phrases hanging off the walls, such as the one below.



I don't wanna give away the others... you should check them out for yourself. :P



On the menu, you have most of the normal items you might expected of a pork haven, including pork ribs, pork chops (with the cuter name - porky chops), our local 'siew yuk' rice and pork burger which is named 3 little pigs. A couple of my friends ordered that and, it looked prettytempting. 




You might have noticed from the menu above that they also have crispy fried pork skin, given the moniker of 'keropork', which sounded so tempting and sinful at the same time. I did not cave on ordering that though (definitely next time I go!), and instead went for probably what was slightly healthier, although quite filling - the bangers and mash.



Perhaps it doesn't look too appetizing in the pic, but trust me, for RM15.90, this is one of the best sausages I've had EVER. They say the sausages are homemade, and I don't doubt it, coz' these are not processed like other sausages. It's kinda like lightly minced meat wrapped in that sausage casing thingy...and while it tastes different from most types of sausages ( especially since they're pork, and you don't get pork sausages often in Malaysia, unless you pay an arm and a leg at some German place).And if the sausages aren't awesome enough, the mashed potatoes are also clearly made of really stuff, not the process crap. There're even residual potato skins left in the mash as evidence. XD. Top it off with a reasonable amount of healthy greens, and I can say this is probably the best dish in the house.

A friend of mine also had bacon pasta (no photo of that, unfortunately), which is supposed to be fried with chilli padi, but he asked for no chilli padi. Tried a bit of that and wouldn't say it's the bestest, but it was ok (I got back to enjoying my bangers and mash after that). Unfortunately my friend had a slightly negative experience when the waiter didn't get his request right, and first time the pasta was brought out, it was made with chilli padi. But after he complained, they took it back and made a fresh batch minus the chilli padi. So I guess that's a positive on the service there, that they were willing to replace the order without arguing.

One of the deserts they had was a rather interesting and different though....ice cream with candied bacon! Yup, I kid you know, these brave people went and mixed up candy and ice cream with PORK.... and the result was... not too bad. Certainly not something I've ever tried before, and I think it would be a taste people would find ok but not great, but still good to try out. Doesn't it just look so innocent in the pic below (slightly melted and eaten, sorry about that. Couldn't do the photo taking in time. :P)


So all in all, it's one of few places with really good food in Subang, far as I'm concerned. The joint has a website too! Check the link for more info on how to get there and support support! I actually hope this place grows and starts to have more franchises popping up all over the place. ^_^